Thursday, July 23, 2015

Marriage: One man, and one woman

Jordan Lorence writes at The Federalist,
While I listened to Justice Anthony Kennedy read his decision on marriage from the bench at the U.S. Supreme Court, I thought about the one argument I would not know how to answer if it ever came from my opponents at the many debates I have done across the nation defending the definition of marriage as one man and one woman.

I imagined an advocate for redefining marriage saying something like, “We agree with you that marriage is a unique, important social institution that supports and helps sustain societies. We, too, are concerned about the erosion of marriage through such things as casual sex, cohabitation, no-fault divorce, and adultery. We, too, are dedicated to reaffirming marriage as a social institution that is monogamous, sexually exclusive, and life-long. Please see us same-sex couples as fresh reinforcements to help you in the important work to uphold the institution of marriage.”

But no one ever made that argument to me.
Read more here.

No comments: