Tuesday, July 01, 2014

"Social allergens"

Elizabeth Bernstein writes:
Experts use the term "social allergens" to describe behaviors or habits that drive others nuts. Some of these actions begin to annoy us soon after we meet someone. Others get to us slowly and surely over time.
She also writes that we may be more likely to encounter these annoying habits at work, because who we associate with there is mostly involuntary.

One of the annoying habits of a co-worker of mine who otherwise is a very good employee, is that she regularly seeks me out to tell me something in which she perceives herself as a victim. The minute I see her coming in my direction, I know something "poor me" is going to come from her lips.

What is the best way to deal with this? I just let it go, realizing that is just how that person is.

No comments: